Instead of trying to find your perfect match in a dating app, we bring you the “Author-Reader Match" where we introduce you to authors you may fall in love with. It's our great pleasure to present Faith Hunter!
Hi All! I’m Faith Hunter, and currently, I am writing three series:
The longest-running is the Urban Fantasy, Jane Yellowrock series, set in New Orleans, La. and Asheville, NC. The Soulwood series is a Paranormal Police Procedural series set in the same world as Jane Yellowrock, but features magic-user, agent rookie Nell Ingram, in Knoxville, TN.
Lastly, the Junkyard Cats series is completely unrelated to Jane’s world. It’s a Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi novella series, starring Shining Smith…and several special cats!
My next book is TRUE DEAD, number 14 in the Jane Yellowrock series. TRUE DEAD is an urban fantasy with mixes of mystery, action-adventure, amazing fight scenes, and just enough sizzle to keep things interesting. The series features Jane Yellowrock—biker-chick/hunter of rogue-vampires/Cherokee skinwalker who accidently absorbed the soul of a mountain lion in a desperate, unintentional act of black magic when she was five years old. She is a contradictory blend of strength and vulnerability—a gun-toting Harley rider, a tribal war woman, and a magic-using skinwalker.
Jane used to hunt down and kill rogue vampires, but when she came to New Orleans, in the novel SKINWALKER, to kill a vamp that the master of the city himself couldn’t track, everything changed. Through a quirk of miscommunication, unintentional timewalking, unexpected black magic, and the action of a crown that might just have a mind and agenda of its own, now she’s the queen of the vampires in a sultry city with a history of pirates, buccaneers, voodoo, and Mardi Gras celebrations.
Jane is wintering in the Appalachian Mountains with Yellowrock Clan and her Consort, the drool-worthy Bruiser, enjoying a little peace and quiet. The mountains are where her Beast (the soul of the mountain lion she shares her body with) can hunt and prowl, Jane can heal from a case of magical cancer, and do a little sweathouse spiritual restoration as she tries to repair the damage to her skinwalker shape-shifts. But a surprise attack on her people proves that trouble is brewing. Someone is using very old magic to launch a bid for power, and it’s all tied to the place where Jane was first drawn into the world of vampires ruled by Master Vampire, Leo Pellissier—the city of New Orleans.
Jane is compelled to return to NOLA because someone is trying to destabilize the paranormal world order. And because she now sits near the top of the vampire world, the assault is her problem. And Beast’s problem. Together, the two-souled will fight to protect what’s theirs. Jane’s city. Their people. Their allies. Their family. Their power. Jane’s crown.
I was born in the Deep South, the birthplace of Cajun cooking, hot-pepper-bread-and-butter-pickles, boudin, Zydeco music, soul and the blues, hot sauce, and Louisiana’s beloved beer-boiled mudbugs (crawfish boiled in beer and spices). I now live in the Carolinas, 2 hours from the Appalachian Mountains, 4 hours from the beach, and I split my time between home and Class II – III rivers where I love to white water kayak.
I’m into good food (preferably local-grown), exquisite loose leaf tea (though the Hubs is into dark-roast coffee, and I’m no caffeine snob), good wine, enough books to fill my eBook reader, lots of kayaking, an active lifestyle, a few good friends, and taking care of family. My favorite day, however, is a lazy one—spending time under an afghan, in front of a roaring fire, reading a good book.
What I’m looking for in my ideal reader match -- Fans who want:
- Fast-paced, but with complicated and layered plots
- Lots of action and kickass fight scenes
- A little romance and with just enough heat
- A book that transports them away from their own lives into a world full of vampires, were-creatures, witches, and other paranormal creatures, in a city rich with its own paranormal history, horse-drawn carriages, above-ground graveyards, and steamy heat.
- A main character who embodies the concept of badass but with just enough frailties to keep things interesting. But has no idea how to be queen and ends up flying by the seat of her pants—which has been known to make things worse instead of better
- A character who will protect her godchildren and her friends with her very life
- A book fans can read once fast, then a second time slower (to catch the nuances), and then a whole series that fans can re-re-re-read anytime they need an escape
What to expect if we're compatible:
- A total escape
- A badass heroine who isn’t perfect—and doesn’t try to be because god knows the vamps are fanghead sticks in the mud and need taking down a notch or two
- A strong character with flaws—think Spiderman, not Superwoman
- Excellent fight scenes
- Just enough heat to make you want more
- That startling laugh-out-loud moment
- That unforeseen I’m-gonna-cry moment
- A couple of nights with no sleep so you can finish the book. And then reread.
- A sudden desire to try good loose-leaf teas, boudin balls, mudbugs, and visit Café du Monde for some chicory coffee and beignets.
- A visit to New Orleans followed by a trip to the Appalachian Mountains to see how the other half lives.
- A deep desire for gorgeous mesmeric vampires is optional… Or is it?
Jane Yellowrock Series #14
Jane Yellowrock goes back to the city where it all began in the newest installment of this thrilling New York Times bestselling series.
Jane used to hunt vampires, but now she’s their queen. She’s holed up in the mountains with the Yellowrock Clan, enjoying a little peace, when a surprise attack on her people proves that trouble is brewing. Someone is using very old magic to launch a bid for power, and it’s all tied to the place where Jane was first drawn into the world of Leo Pellissier—the city of New Orleans.
Jane is compelled to return to NOLA because someone is trying to destabilize the paranormal world order. And because she now sits near the top of the vampire world, the assault is her problem. She will do what she must to protect what’s hers. Her city. Her people. Her power. Her crown.
Fantasy Urban [Ace, On Sale: September 14, 2021, Mass Market Paperback / e-Book, ISBN: 9780451488732 / eISBN: 9780451488749]
Faith Hunter, fantasy writer, was born in Louisiana and raised all over the south. She writes three Urban Fantasy series: the Skinwalker series, featuring Jane Yellowrock, a Cherokee skinwalker who hunts rogue vampires. The Soulwood series, featuring modern-day, dark earth magic user, Nell Ingram. And the Rogue Mage novels, a dark urban, post-apocalyptic, fantasy series featuring Thorn St. Croix, a stone mage. (There is a role-playing game based on the series, ROGUE MAGE.)
Under the pen name Gwen Hunter, she writes action-adventure, mysteries, and thrillers. As Faith and Gwen, she has 30+ books in print in 29 countries. Hunter writes full-time, tries to keep house, and is a workaholic with a passion for travel, jewelry making, white-water kayaking, and writing. She and her husband love to RV, traveling with their rescued Pomeranians to whitewater rivers all over the Southeast.
No comments posted.