John G. Hemry is a retired U.S. Navy officer. His father (LCDR Jack M. Hemry, USN ret.) is a mustang (an officer who was promoted through the enlisted ranks), so John grew up living everywhere from Pensacola, Florida to San Diego, California, including an especially memorable few year on Midway Island.
John graduated from Lyons High School in Lyons, Kansas in 1974, then attended the U.S. Naval Academy (Class of '78), where he was labeled "the un-Midshipman" by his roommates.
His active duty assignments in the U.S. Navy included:
* USS SPRUANCE (DD963) (Navigator, Gunnery Officer)
* Defense Intelligence Ageny (Production Control Officer)
* Navy Anti-Terrorism Alert Center (Watch Officer, Operations Officer)
* Amphibious Squadron Five (Staff Intelligence Officer/N2)
* Navy Operational Intelligence Center (Readiness Division)
* Chief of Naval Operations Staff N3/N5 (Plans, Policy and Operations)
John speaks the remnants of Russian painstakingly pounded into him by Professor Vladimir Tolstoy (yes, he was related to that Tolstoy).
He lives in Maryland with a wife who is too good for him and three great kids.